This section describes the impact and repercussions of anti-Muslim and anti-Arab racism and the specific examples of shari’a law panics and the so-called “ground zero mosque” in New York City. How has culture been used as a tool of systematic oppression and racialization of Muslims? What is the impact on Islam as a faith practice and Muslims as an identity in the United States?
- Moustafa Bayoumi, “How Does It Feel To Be A Problem? Preface” in How Does it Feel to Be a Problem?: Being Young and Arab in America (Penguin, 2009).
- Azeezah Kanji and S.K. Hussan, “The Problem with Liberal Opposition to Islamophobia,” ROAR Magazine, Issue #5.
- Sunaina Maira, “Surveillance Effects: South Asian, Arab, and Afghan American Youth in the War on Terror,” At the Limits of Justice: Women of Colour on Terror, 2014, 86-106.
- Nadine Naber,“Muslim First, Arab Second” In Arab America: Gender, Cultural Politics, and Activism. (New York University Press, 2012).
- Louise Cainkar,“Whose Homeland Security?” in Homeland Insecurity (Russell Sage Foundation, 2009).
- Su’ad Abdul Khabeer, “The Peculiar Case of the Black American Islamophobe,” Huffington Post.
- “New Muslim Cool, Jennifer Maytorena Taylor, 2009 (film).
Shari’a Law Panics
- Katherine Lemons and Joshua Takano Chambers-Letson, “Rule of Law: Sharia Panic and the US Constitution in the House of Representatives,” Cultural Studies 28(5-6):1048-1077, 2015.
- Sherene Razack, “The Muslims are Coming: The ‘Shari’a Debate’ in Canada,” in Casting Out: the Eviction of Muslims from Western Law and Politics (U Toronto Press, 2007).
- Setting the Record Straight on Sharia: An Interview with Dr. Intisar Rabb, Sapelo Square.
“Ground Zero Mosque”
- Chris Earle, “Good Muslims, Bad Muslims, and the Nation: The ‘Ground Zero Mosque’ and the Problem With Tolerance,” Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies, 12:2, 2015, 121-138.
- Rosemary R. Corbett, “Introduction: Debating Moderate Islam,” in Making Moderate Islam: Sufism, Service, and the “Ground Zero Mosque” Controversy (Stanford University Press, 2016).